The house was built
in 1802 by Geneva's early Presbyterian community for the area's first
clergyman, the Rev. Jedediah Chapman, and his wife.
originally had a front entrance where the right front window is now,
and it had a central chimney. The entrance on the side porch was likely
the original front entrance, moved circa 1900 when the colonial revival
porch was built. Circa 1820 the central chimney was removed and
two adjoining parlors were created, typical of mansions being
constructed on the street during this time.
A paneled gallery rail adorned the front roof line, as shown in
photographs. It was removed in the 1960s when the roof was replaced.
The owners plan to replace this original Federal-era feature.
The current owners bought the house in 1999 after it had been vacant
for two years. Little had been done to it over the years; it was in a
state of disrepair and neglect. It is now being patiently restored,
with guest rooms to help finance the work and allow this local landmark
to be enjoyed by the public.